Caribbean Cement Company Limited (CCCL) is a publicly listed company which has been in operation since 1952 and is the sole manufacturer of Portland and blended cement in Jamaica. Its main plant and operations are situated in Rockfort, Kingston with additional quarry operation in both St. Andrew and St. Thomas. CCCL produces high quality products using 100% indigenous raw materials, all mined within 10 miles of its main plant. CCCL is a member of the TCL Group, which is owned by CEMEX, S.A.B. de C.V.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Caribbean Cement Company Limited, a member of the TCL Group, is committed to meeting the needs of its customers by providing high quality building solutions in an environmentally friendly manner, through a competent, inspired and motivated team thereby achieving the financial objectives of its shareholders, whilst adding value to the community.
• The environment is free from fear and crime, workplace is happy and energized and our operations have minimal negative impact on the environment.
• Everyone shares a culture of service, quality and performance where our word is our bond and promises are kept.
• All our stakeholders are satisfied and proud of their association with the Company which is seen to be emulated for its honesty, fair play and the ethical behaviour demonstrated.
• The Company’s financial performance exceeds the expectations of its shareholders and strong, sustained growth is maintained.
Caribbean Cement Company Limited (Carib Cement) was conceptualized in 1921, and incorporated in 1947. The company opened its doors on January 28, 1952 and started commercial production a few weeks later on February 8th at an initial plant capacity of 100,000 tonnes of cement, and with a start-up capital of 1.2 million pounds. Since then, Carib Cement has been the only cement manufacturing company on the island.
Nestled in the foothills of the world-famous Blue Mountains, Rockfort Kingston, Carib Cement benefits from access to indigenous raw materials (mineral deposits) and a natural harbour that it utilises for import of coal and export of cement and other minerals. Carib Cement manufactures, distributes, and exports high-quality Portland cement using one hundred percent Jamaican raw material. The raw material used in the manufacturing process are all mined within ten miles of the plant. The company exports its surplus gypsum and boasts of its own ports for the shipment abroad of both its cement and gypsum.
By the 1980’s, after a number of expansions, the company had a total installed clinker capacity of 600,000 tonnes of clinker after completion of the dry process pre-heater line No.4 kiln system. In 1999, Trinidad Cement Limited Group (TCL Group) acquired the majority shareholding in Carib Cement. The TCL Group also owns two other cement plants in the English Speaking Caribbean located in Trinidad (Trinidad Cement Limited) and Barbados (Arawak Cement Company Limited). The TCL Group operates other related manufacturing facilities throughout the Caribbean.
In 2009, the company’s Expansion and Modernization Program was completed with the installation of a new In-Line Precalciner low NOx kiln system (line No.5) and a vertical cement roller mill No. 5 which saw the final capacity of the plant expanding to 1.3 million tonnes of clinker per annum and 1.8 million tonnes of cement per annum.
Caribbean Cement Company Limited is a major contributor to the Jamaican economy and employs more than 600 employees, consisting of permanent and temporary staff as well as contractors.
In 2015, CEMEX increased its shareholdings in TCL to 39.5 per cent followed in 2016 by a takeover bid to acquire shares in TCL at TT$4.50 per ordinary share. In 2017, CEMEX revised its offer price to TT$5.07 per ordinary share and increased its shareholding in TCL from 39.5% to 69.83%.
CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable services to customers and communities in more than 50 countries. CEMEX has a rich history of improving the well-being of those it serves through innovative building solutions, efficiency advancements, and efforts to promote a sustainable future.
Commitment to Quality and World Class Standards
Carib Cement adheres to world class standards and is consistent in delivering a high quality product. Our staff are highly skilled and committed to excellence in recognition of our integral contribution to the manufacturing, mining and construction sectors and the wider Jamaican economy. We produce clinker and cement and mine gypsum and shale at six locations:
• Rockfort Plant: Limestone is mined; raw meal manufactured, clinker and cement are produced.
• Jamaica Gypsum and Quarries (JGQ): Gypsum and shale are mined and transported to the plant via trucks.
• Cambridge Hill, St. Thomas: Shale is mined and transported to the plant by trucks.
• Depot facilities are located at Montego Bay, St. James and Mandeville, Manchester where cement is stored, dispatched and sold.
The company is a manufacturer of Ordinary Portland, Composite, and Blended cement to the specification of the following standards:
• ASTM C 150 Specification for Portland Cement
• ASTM C 595 Specification for Blended Hydraulic Cement
• ASTM C1157 Standard Performance Specification for Hydraulic Cement
• JS 32 Jamaican Standard for Portland Cement (ordinary and rapid-hardening)
• JS 301 Jamaican Standard Specification for Blended Hydraulic Cements
• JS 320 Jamaican Standard Specification (Performance Based) for General
Purpose Hydraulic Cement
• EN 197-1 Cement Composition, Specifications and Conformity Criteria for Low
Heat Common Cements
We are proud to have earned and maintained the following ISO certifications at our main plant, located in Rockfort, Kingston and depots located in Mandeville, Manchester and Montego Bay, St. James:
• ISO 9001, the standard for Quality Management Systems;
• ISO 14001, the standard for Environmental Management systems;
• OSHAS 18001 for Occupational Health and Safety System
Applicable to our Main Plant only is:
- ISO 17025, the standard for Laboratory Quality Management System