OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Caribbean Cement Company Limited, a member of the TCL Group, is committed to meeting the needs of its customers by providing high quality building solutions in an environmentally friendly manner, through a competent, inspired and motivated team thereby achieving the financial objectives of its shareholders, whilst adding value to the community.
- The environment is free from fear and crime, workplace is happy and energized and our operations have minimal negative impact on the environment.
- Everyone shares a culture of service, quality and performance where our word is our bond and promises are kept.
- All our stakeholders are satisfied and proud of their association with the Company which is seen to be emulated for its honesty, fair play and the ethical behaviour demonstrated.
- The Company’s financial performance exceeds the expectations of its shareholders and strong, sustained growth is maintained.
Caribbean Cement Company Limited (Carib Cement) was conceptualized in 1921, and incorporated in 1947. The company opened its doors on January 28, 1952 and started commercial production a few weeks later on February 8th at an initial plant capacity of 100,000 tonnes of cement, and with a start-up capital of 1.2 million pounds. Since then, Carib Cement has been the only cement manufacturing company on the island.
Nestled in the foothills of the world-famous Blue Mountains, Rockfort Kingston, Carib Cement benefits from access to indigenous raw materials (mineral deposits) and a natural harbour that it utilises for import of coal and export of cement and other minerals. Carib Cement manufactures, distributes, and exports high-quality Portland cement using one hundred percent Jamaican raw material. The raw material used in the manufacturing process are all mined within ten miles of the plant. The company exports its surplus gypsum and boasts of its own ports for the shipment abroad of both its cement and gypsum.
By the 1980’s, after a number of expansions, the company had a total installed clinker capacity of 600,000 tonnes of clinker after completion of the dry process pre-heater line No.4 kiln system. In 1999, Trinidad Cement Limited Group (TCL Group) acquired the majority shareholding in Carib Cement. The TCL Group also owns two other cement plants in the English Speaking Caribbean located in Trinidad (Trinidad Cement Limited) and Barbados (Arawak Cement Company Limited). The TCL Group operates other related manufacturing facilities throughout the Caribbean.
In 2009, the company’s Expansion and Modernization Program was completed with the installation of a new In-Line Precalciner low NOx kiln system (line No.5) and a vertical cement roller mill No. 5 which saw the final capacity of the plant expanding to 1.3 million tonnes of clinker per annum and 1.8 million tonnes of cement per annum.
Carib Cement is a traditional cement plant where both clinker and cement are produced on the same site. Operations take place at six (6) locations as follows:
- Rockfort: Limestone is mined; raw meal manufactured, clinker and cement are produced.
- Jamaica Gypsum and Quarries (JGQ): Gypsum and shale are mined and transported to the plant via trucks.
- Cambridge Hill: Shale is mined and transported to the plant by trucks.
- Depot facilities are located at Montego Bay and Mandeville where cement is stored, dispatched and sold.
The company is a manufacturer of Ordinary Portland, Composite, and Blended cement to the specification of the following standards:
- ASTM C 150 Specification for Portland Cement
- ASTM C 595 Specification for Blended Hydraulic Cement
- ASTM C1157 Standard Performance Specification for Hydraulic Cement
- JS 32 Jamaican Standard for Portland Cement (ordinary and rapid-hardening)
- JS 301 Jamaican Standard Specification for Blended Hydraulic Cements
- JS 320 Jamaican Standard Specification (Performance Based) for General Purpose Hydraulic Cement
- EN 197-1 Cement Composition, Specifications and Conformity Criteria for Low Heat Common Cements
Carib Cement subscribes to the requirements of ISO 9001, the standard for Quality Management Systems; ISO 14001, the standard for Environmental Management systems; ISO 17025, the standard for Laboratory Quality Management System and OSHAS 18001 for Occupational Health and Safety System and ALL other relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
Caribbean Cement Company Limited is a major contributor to the Jamaican economy and employs over 797 employees, consisting of permanent and temporary staff as well as contractors.